Dr Richard Sawyer
Consultant in Pain Management
- Chronic low back pain
- Chronic neck pain
Training And Background
- Qualifications : MB BCh FRCA FIPP FFPMRCA LLM
- Year first qualified : 1989
- GMC number : 3640384
- Main NHS base: Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
Dr Sawyer became a consultant in pain management and anaesthesia at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust in 2013. Prior to becoming a consultant in Oxford, he was a consultant at Plymouth Hospitals Trust for 12 years and the lead clinician for 7 years.
Dr Sawyer specialises in a wide range of chronic pain conditions which include spinal pain, whiplash injuries and neuropathic (nerve) pains. He uses radiofrequency, pulsed radiofrequency, peripheral electrical nerve stimulation and neuromodulation techniques.
Research & Teaching
Dr Sawyer has been involved in a number of research projects, one of which includes a multinational study looking at the efficacy of a novel opioid agonist in the management of chronic back pain.
He has also been involved in a randomised controlled study assessing the efficacy of spinal cord stimulation in the management of chronic refractory angina.
Dr Sawyer has also published numerous articles on chronic pain and its management and is always keen to offer sessions to GP’s to discuss the management of chronic pain conditions.
- British Pain Society
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- World Institute of Pain
- Neuromodulation Society of UK and Ireland
- International Neuromodulation Society
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Medicolegal Special Interest Group of IASP