What is PHIN?
PHIN is The Private Healthcare Information Network. An independent, government mandated source of information on private healthcare.
They are a not for profit organisation, which works to enable patients to make better informed choices of care provider.
This is achieved by providing more robust information about private healthcare than ever before, along with improving data quality and transparency.
Access to trustworthy, comprehensive information assists patients considering private healthcare, giving them an opportunity to judge quality and cost.
The New Foscote Hospital and PHIN
The New Foscote Hospital is one of 300 NHS and private hospitals currently working with PHIN. We regularly supply key data about our consultants, procedures and outcomes.
Together with informing patients, this is in line with specifications from the Competitions and Markets Authority, to provide transparency on key factors.
The measures, which are currently published at both hospital and consultant level on the PHIN website are:
- Volumes of procedures undertaken.
- Average lengths of stay for each procedure.
- Mortality rates.
- Readmission rates.
- Revision surgery rates.
- Infection rates (with separate figures for surgically acquired and facility acquired infections).
- Unplanned patient transfers (from a private healthcare facility or NHS Private Patient Unit (PPU) to an NHS facility).
- A measure of patient feedback and/or satisfaction.
- Relevant information where available, from the clinical registries and audit.
- Procedure specific measures of patient reported health outcome.
- Frequency of appropriate adverse events.
We believe that PHIN’s provision of unbiased information on private hospitals and consultants benefits every UK resident, in their search for the best healthcare.
They also work closely with hospitals and consultants, to help monitor and improve standards of care.
Performance is enhanced, as is patient safety, which should be the number one priority for any healthcare facility.