Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine that focuses on diseases and issues that are situated along the gastrointestinal tract. This can include organs from the mouth to the anus.
Our gastroenterology consultants diagnose and treat diseases and complaints of the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts and the liver.
Our consultants perform endoscopic procedures in which they use specialist instruments to view the gastrointestinal tract and make a diagnosis.
The purpose of the gastrointestinal system is to:
- digests and moves food
- absorbs nutrients
- removes waste from your body
A gastroenterologist will be responsible for treating any part of this system.
Gastroenterology Diagnosis and Procedures
- Colonscopy (colon cancer or polyps)
- Combined Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Upper Gastrointestinal Tract endoscopy
- Litigation of haemorrhoids
- Acid Reflux
- Hepatitis C
- Polyps or Growth in the Large Intestine